Peninsula School of Art (PenArt), a non-profit visual arts education center in Fish Creek, WI, is seeking two part-time instructors for summer children’s and teen visual arts workshops. Under the supervision of the Director of Education, Summer Studios for Young Artists Program instructors are responsible for planning and implementing a visual arts workshop program that is creative, safe and developmentally appropriate for students ages 3½ to 17 years old. The Summer Studios for Young Artists Program runs for nine weeks from June 17 through August 16, 2019. Each week consists of four-day (Monday-Thursday) workshops – students are divided by age group – and a Friday morning, drop-in arts making experiences for children and families. Workshops are dedicated to a specific media, from drawing to sculpture to printmaking to ceramics and beyond. Instructors are responsible for teaching age-appropriate workshops that encourage skill building, creative problem solving, and experimentation.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organize, develop, implement, and coordinate visual arts lessons in keeping with the objectives, themes, and media specified in the workshop catalog.
- Teach knowledge and skills in art through engaging demonstrations and hands-on activities.
- Ensure the safety of all students.
- Create a positive, fun and inclusive atmosphere promoting teamwork and/or individual work.
- Lead specific age-appropriate activities/lessons.
- Be on time and ready to receive students as specified on your schedule.
- Be able to problem solve and adapt to the needs of students, modifying instruction on a case-by-case basis.
- Provide feedback to students throughout each lesson.
- Meet regularly with the Director of Education to discuss curriculum, classroom management, and studio needs.
- Manage studio inventory, including materials and tools.
- Set-up studios in preparation for each workshop.
- Ensure that the space is returned as found at the end of each workshop, and all supply cabinets and spaces are clean and well organized.