Spudnik Press is now accepting applications for our May – December 2019 Studio Fellowship program.
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is committed to providing promising emerging artists in the Chicagoland area with comprehensive artistic and professional development support. The Studio Fellowship packages a multitude of opportunities for artists to advance their artistic practice.
During this eight-month program, fellows receive unfettered access to Spudnik’s expansive printmaking facilities. By working in our print shop and monitoring weekly Open Studio sessions, fellows regularly engage with our community of printmakers and benefit from ongoing guidance and feedback from staff and peers.
Additionally, the Studio Fellowship’s weekly professional development seminar equips our fellows with the tools and resources to be able to set personal and financial goals, strengthen their proposal writing and teaching artistry, learn how to promote themselves and their work, and much more. Fellows also have the unique experience of planning and presenting up to two culminating public projects.
Fellows also receive advanced notice and discounted registration for all Professional Practices Programs offered to our members. Opportunities include portfolio reviews with curators, off-site visits to resources and arts professionals throughout Chicago, exhibition opportunities, and more. By gifting each fellow a complimentary one-year Studio Membership, fellows can continue to take advantage of all member opportunities for the five months following their fellowship.
Studio Fellowship Mission
The Spudnik Press Cooperative Studio Fellowship is an intensive eight-month program that provides emerging artists opportunities to develop the artistic and professional skills needed to build a successful career in the arts. Key program components work in conjunction to provide mentorship, technical training, meaningful interactions with art professionals, public programming experience, and leadership opportunities. These key program components consist of the following:
- Access to professional printmaking facilities.
- Weekly seminars addressing various elements of professional practices.
- Leadership experience through regularly monitoring Open Studio sessions.
- Presentation opportunities through two culminating public projects.
Furthermore, as ambassadors of Spudnik Press Cooperative, Fellows play an important role in ensuring our members and studio users have a welcoming experience at our shop and also help us grow our community. The contributions Fellows make to our day-to-day operations are invaluable and help shape the future of our facilities.
The Studio Fellowship program best supports:
- Emerging artists, typically recent college graduates.
- Artists at transitional points in their career.
- Artists with substantial printmaking experience, such that they are able to perform all monitoring duties.
- Artists whose current art practice requires access to printmaking facilities.
- Artists who already have a dedicated and regular studio practice.
- Artists who are able to commit about 8 hours a week to the fellowship program in addition to maintaining their art practice.
- Artists whose goal is to create or sell art a primary source of income.
- Artists seeking opportunities to meet Chicago-based arts professionals.
- Artists interested in building meaningful connections with a creative community.
Please thoroughly review the SPC Fellowship Information Packet. Download and complete the Spring 2019 Studio Fellowship Application Form. Return this application form and all requested materials to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Sunday, March 17, 2019.
Deadline to Apply: Sunday, March 17, 2019
Fellowship Period: May 1 – December 31, 2019
Required Weekly Commitments:
- Professional Development Seminars: Most Wednesdays from 2 – 4 p.m.
- Individual Monitor Shifts: One 4.5-hour per shift per week:
- Mondays 5:30 – 10pm
- Thursdays 5:30-10pm
- Fridays 12:30 – 5pm
- Saturdays 12:30 – 5pm
Any inquiries regarding our Studio Fellowship can be directed to Susannah Papish at email@example.com